Friday, 16 January 2009

Last laugh.

So we're leaving, so we left, so we moved on. Just two weeks from posting results before we've officially gone on. The school changes, the friends change, nearly everything changes, there's no denying that.

Sure we can say I'll cherish this, I'll remember that, I won't forget this, I won't change that; but no one's quite that certain after all that two years ain't gonna make all that difference. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and familiarity breeds contempt, yet are we seriously that sure things will go our way?

Maybe one of the reasons I changed my mind and took VJ was familiarity. Knowing for sure that I'll spent two years in a place where there'll be people I've known for four years and continue to know for six, and that alma mater was a mere kilometre away, and the name of the place only seems to change in the way it ends, and that the ties that bind most prolly will never break.

Maybe one of the reasons why I didn't take Psychology at TP was because of the people I was certain I would meet there. Or because of the people whom I already know were going there, whether I liked them or not. I couldn't imagine seeing these people for another two years, pursuing what I would have no doubt in working hard for, and the possibilities of working with them in near future.

Maybe I just wanted to wait in VJ for certain people whom I wanted there and knew would prolly meet the next year. Maybe I just wanted to not be looked at in a different light when TP comes out from my mouth instead of VJ. Maybe its how people have stereotyped schools and courses with success and failure. Maybe the scariest letters to any parent's mind would be ITE. Maybe we're all just ignorant shallow people who could never bear shame to our faces.

Whatever the case, our turn's over for now. The next batch has its time to shine. Maybe the next paragraph would be a statement of arrogance, sarcasm or motivation, depending on how you read and look at it.

I got 24 at Sec 3 EOYs, 29 at Sec 4 MYEs, 13 at Sec 4 Prelims and 8 at O Levels.
If you could count, I had 21 points improvement overall in barely 5 months.
They say Victorians have tendencies for last minute work, well they aren't wrong, but that's not the point.
I was always the last few people on the class positions. From sec 1 to 4 no less, stupid sec 1/2 class was the top class.
I used to be pushed down the charts all the time, and transparencies with the class' results would always have my name as one of those highlighted. For the wrong reasons.
There's no shame in saying I've been laughed at, sneered at. But most of  them were those that were merely joking of course.
And now, I'm no longer hogging the bottom positions. I've surprised people, I've surprised myself.
If I could use myself as a success story for hard work paying off, I would. I slogged.
And the whole purpose of all these? So what if you're six now? So what if you're thirty now? There's no telling what you'll get till you get them.
Whether you started working hard back then or working hard now, work hard and work smart.

The smart don't boast, the poor don't sulk. We don't know for sure who's winning till the end, who's got the last laugh.

No comments: