Thursday, 18 September 2008

Music Overflow Five.

Shervin's Album Recommendations by Genre:

Pop:

Lenka - Lenka

Review:
The tracklist is filled with songs that have simple and catchy tunes, in addition to the awesome lyrics I can't get over cos they're so straightforward. It still has it's fare share of slow R&B-ish tracks. Songs you must check out is the first single, 'The Show'. Also the ones I like personally are 'Trouble Is A Friend', 'Skipalong' and 'Knock Knock'.

Pop/R&B:

Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks

Review:
You've heard the airplay singles loads of time, but I doubt you've actually checked out her other songs. It's actually mostly R&B, and songs to check out would be 'Freeze', 'Now You Tell Me', 'Next To You', 'Just For The Record'.

Pop/Rock:

Katy Perry - One Of The Boys

Review:
I can't get enough of the pop-rockish tracks and a thing to note would be that she writes ALL her songs. I can't get over how some of her other tracks are actually better than the singles she has released, so do not judge her by the current four singles. MUST LISTENs are 'Self Inflicted', 'Waking Up In Vegas', 'If You Can Afford Me'.

R&B:

Mariah Carey - E=MC2

Review:
Enough of 'Touch My Body' and 'Bye Bye', Mariah definitely has much more to show. Her solid R&B tracks would include 'Migrate (feat. T_Pain)', 'I Stay In Love', 'Love Story'. I can't get over the fact of how she was only given two lines for 'Just Stand Up!', when she was probably the most accomplished diva in the group.

Rock:

Daughtry - Daughtry

Review:
I actually didn't like Chris Daughtry to start with, but after hearing a couple of the tracks from the album, I changed my view. The songs to watch out for would be 'It's Not Over', 'Used To', 'Home'. In fact, every track's worth a listen.

Country:

Julianne Hough - Julianne Hough

Review:
If you got sick of Carrie Underwood, test her out. I first heard 'That Song In My Head' and had a pretty good impression. 'You, You, You', 'My Hallelujah Song', 'About Life'. Being not familiar with how Country music works, they actually all sound similar. xD

Indie Rock:

Meg & Dia

Review:
For those who heard of them from 'Roses', that's not their only track to show. The really cool thing to note about this band would be their song lyrics. Every song has lyrics that resemble fiction stories, and their chorus changes every time. I'm supporting all their tracks!

Indie Pop/Rock:

Amy MacDonald - This Is The Life

Review:
Frankly I didn't like the album the first time I heard it. I guess you just need to listen loads of times to catch on. She has a rather unique voice that I can't describe appropriately. =)

If your genre didn't appear in the list, it's most probably cos I found no impressive albums or I don't quite agree with it.

No comments: